It’s a new year: a fresh start and the perfect time to make a positive change for your health. January 16 – 22, 2022, is National Non-Smoking Week. This Weedless Wednesday, we encourage you to try quitting smoking for the day. Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health. The benefits of quitting can be seen as quickly as twenty minutes after your last cigarette:
- Within 20 minutes, your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
- 12 hours: the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
- 2-12 weeks: your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
- 1-9 months: coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
- 1 year: your risk of coronary heart disease is about half that of a smoker.
- 5 years, your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.
- 10 years, your risk of lung cancer falls to about half that of a smoker and your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decreases.
- 15 years, the risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker.
Quitting can be challenging. Prairie Mountain Health has resources available to support you. Healthcare providers, including Nurse Practitioners, Community Health Nurses, and Licensed Practical Nurses at Primary Health Care Centers, are here to provide smoking cessation support. Nicotine Replacement Therapy is available at select Prairie Mountain Health Locations and Mobile Clinics. Contact your local Primary Health Care Centre for information about supports available. Your healthcare plan may cover Nicotine Replacement Therapy and other medications to aid in smoking cessation.
Smokers’ Helpline is another available resource. It is a free counselling service accessible by phone at 1-866-366-3667, online at SmokersHelpline.ca, and by texting the word iQuit to the number 123456.
There’s no better time to quit than now. You can do it! Accessing support will increase your chances of successfully quitting. To learn more about the benefits of smoking cessation, click here.
National non-smoking week January 15th- 21st: Lung Asc. Manitoba
In recognition of National Non-Smoking week January 15th -21st 2022, If you smoke and live anywhere in Manitoba, commit to ‘QUITTING SMOKING’ with The Lung Association, Manitoba Inc.
In addition to the annual month-long quit events “The Spring Break and The Cold Turkey Quit Challenge,” The Lung Association, Manitoba Inc. provides year-round smoking cessation services with our Certified Tobacco Educator, Hailey Coleman. We also offer free Quit kits that provide additional supports and guides for those wanting to quit smoking.
The Lung Association, Manitoba Inc. also provides a safe space to support those on their quit journeys with our Quit smoking support group on Facebook.
Whether it is a new year’s resolution, national non-smoking week, personal decision, or one of the Quit challenge months that encourage you to quit smoking, The Lung Association Manitoba Inc. is here to help support your quit journey.
You don’t have to quit smoking on your own. Contact us anytime to help develop your quit day plan.