Did you know?
- Colon cancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in Manitoba affecting over 900 men and women each year. Over 300 people will die from it.
- The time to check is before you have symptoms. You can feel well and not even know that you have polyps (precancerous growths) or colon cancer.
- The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) home screening kit is a simple and safe test you can do in the privacy of your own home. It is a test that looks for hidden blood in the stool (poop) which can be a sign of polyps or early stage colon cancer.
- When it’s found in the earliest stages, 9 out of 10 times colon cancer can be cured.
How can you lower your risk of colon cancer?
- Get Checked! - It is recommended that most people age 50-74 regularly do a FOBT home screening test every 2 years.
- Make healthy lifestyle choices:
- Eat foods high in fibre.
- Get regular physical activity.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Be smoke-free.
- Limit the
For more information on colon cancer screening click here or call 1-855-95-CHECK.